Nunavut Newbie v.2.0: Iqaluit Newbie

A journal that will hopefully help out anyone who is thinking about moving to Nunavut or anywhere in Northern Canada.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Introduction

Hi everybody.
If you are reading this, you are probably here either because you know either Jeff or myself (Jaime) and you want to see what we are up to, or you are thinking about visiting/moving up North and you are disappointed by the information you're finding on the Internet.
Before I go any further, I will give you the story as to why we're here.

After living in London, Ontario for a year, Jeff and I knew we had to get out of Ontario for awhile, if not permanently. Simpler life appealed to us both so it was just a matter of Jeff finding a job in another province. In May he found a job in Rankin Inlet, Nunavut. I remember when he found it. I think he asked me, "Hey, wanna move to..uh..Rankin Inlet?" "Where's that?" "Nunavut," "...Uhhhh.."

By June 26 he had the job and we started Googling "Nunavut" and "moving to Nunavut" like crazy but with no results. It was only when we found a list of Nunavut blogs did things start to fall in place a little better.

So what we hope to accomplish with this blog is two-fold: we'd like our friends and family to read about what we're doing on the other side of Canada, and we'd also like to give people a first-hand look at what it's like to go from living in the warmest part of Canada to one of the coldest. We are looking especially to target other people who are or who are thinking about moving to Nunavut. There is a lack of information on the Internet for people in mine and Jeff's position (pre-Nunavut) so we are hoping that by putting our plans and our stories here, it will help others in planning their move to Nunavut.

So, no matter who you are, we hope you will benefit from our blog.

Update: July 16, 2008

This blog is now in phase two of its hopefully long life. I'm the only author now as I have moved onto Iqaluit and Jeff has stayed in Rankin Inlet.

I am no longer a newbie to Nunavut but I don't have the heart to change the name of the blog. Because I'm not a newbie anymore, I don't generally write about newbie experiences, which was the initial point of the blog. If you need information about moving to Nunavut, be sure to read the first 6 months of my writing. After that, it becomes less about first-time experiences and more about how life is going in the north.

Labels: , ,