Nunavut Newbie v.2.0: Iqaluit Newbie

A journal that will hopefully help out anyone who is thinking about moving to Nunavut or anywhere in Northern Canada.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

26 Days Until Nunavut

Hey, Jaime here. I figured I'd just elaborate a little bit on Jeff's post.

The people hiring Jeff say we'll be flying up August 1st. I am actually surprised at how soon it is. I figured it'd be no earlier than September. It's a happy surprise though, I wouldn't want it any sooner and it's not so far into the future that it'll drive me batty with excitement before ever getting there.

Jeff and I returned to Sarnia this past weekend to celebrate Canada Day and to break the news to our parents. As soon as we got to Jeff's parents' place, his mom knew something was up. She kept asking what was going on until I made Jeff tell her. She was surpsied, but happy. Jeff's dad seemed pretty happy too. He's like my dad; he's happy as long as we're happy. The rest of our parents had similar reactions. Everyone except my mom, who got ticked off and went straight to bed after I told her. I think she's warming up to the idea, though.

In better news, I handed in my notice today at work. I am going to be finishing next Friday (July 14). It was a great moment, I've been waiting 11 months to hand it in. I didn't know what to write so I made up some BS about enjoying my tenure there (11 months). Jeff is handing in his notice on Friday (for his last day to be July 21st). I'm afraid Jeff isn't giving himself enough time and there's too much for one person to handle. The to-do list keeps growing as the time gets shorter. I am feeling quite a bit of pressure to get it all finished. Jeff and I are NOT to-do list people so having these goals and knowing they absolutely need to be completed is pretty daunting.

Anyway, the real reason behind this post is because I wanted to make a top 5 list of what I'm looking forward to about moving to Nunavut:
(in no specific order)

1. Clean(er) air.
2. The Northern Lights.
3. No chain stores (besides the Northern store).
4. Leaving being all the wannabe Hollywood movie stars.
5. Getting better acquainted with this beautiful country.

(posted by Jaime)

Labels: ,