Nunavut Newbie v.2.0: Iqaluit Newbie

A journal that will hopefully help out anyone who is thinking about moving to Nunavut or anywhere in Northern Canada.

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Obligatory Vacation Summary and Photos

I've been back in Iqaluit for a few weeks now, I guess it's time for an update!

The rest of my vacation went splendidly! Vancouver was a blast, I really liked it there. I'm actually surprised I did because I'm not a big city person at all and much prefer rural settings (duh, look where I live).

Hmm, where did I leave off? Ah yes, my second last day at the ranch. That day I went on my last horseback ride of the trip. I spent a total of 9 hours on a horse during my 7-night stay at the ranch, but somehow it just wasn't enough!

On Sunday, September 7th, the owner of the ranch flew me in his private plane to Vancouver. That was an experience and a half.


Me standing at the "gate," ready to board the plane.


Taking off from the ranch.


BC from 8500 feet (or is it metres? who knows).


Being in the front seat of the plane is probably the best way to fly.


In Vancouver I fit in as many activities as possible. I visited Granville Island which was pretty cool, the Vancouver Police Museum, Metrotown Mall, Stanley Park, and I walked pretty much the whole core of the downtown. I went to a psychic on Granville Island which was very interesting. The very next day I completed my only goal for vacation: to get a tattoo!


I love it!

Not too long after that, I went to Toronto to catch up with my two best friends and my brother. I also got the chance to see my cousin, whom I hadn't seen in over 2 years. I finally went up the CN Tower which in all my years as an Ontarian, I never got around to doing.


This was taken from the Sky Pod, which is higher up than the regular observation deck. From the Sky Pod, we see the Sky Dome, which after all my years as an Ontarian, I refuse to call by its current name.

After Toronto came Sarnia, which I spent mostly running errands and going shopping at my favourite places. My time in Sarnia was much too short (only 7 days) and then I was off to Ottawa for 3 days. I spent the weekend with a friend I had in elementary school. It was so great to catch up, we had an awesome time!

By the time I got back to Iqaluit, I was glad to be home. I got so happy when I saw the snow on the ground from the plane, and even happier to feel the cold air. Of course, sleeping in my own bed is always the good thing about coming home, too.

Iqaluit's been great since I got home. I have my vehicle now and I'm all refreshed from vacation. At work, I barely recognize the staff anymore since so many new people transferred in while I was gone. It's like being new again.

Thanksgiving was also great, like it usually is. I've been lucky enough to be invited out every Thanksgiving I've been north (3 now). Pretty soon I'll have to start returning the favour!

One of my friends from Rankin is in Iqaluit right now. Thus is the beauty of living in the capital; my friends in other communities have to come here every now and then. It's always nice to catch up on the Rankin Inlet gossip, of which there is much.

Speaking of Rankin Inlet...hi Sarah!

Labels: ,