Nunavut Newbie v.2.0: Iqaluit Newbie

A journal that will hopefully help out anyone who is thinking about moving to Nunavut or anywhere in Northern Canada.

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Home At Last

Well, I arrived back in Iqaluit today. It was one of those vacations where you dread returning but now that I'm here, I'm glad to be. I can tell I've relaxed a tiny bit because I didn't want to ram anybody with my cart in North Mart. Seriously, I hate shopping there. But today, it was tolerable. I hope it sticks.

I sent home all my worldly goods on Friday. Amount of my future retirement into the hands of Canada Post? Three hundred. I really didn't think I bought that much, but I always compare my trips to when I came back with 4 or 5 huge totes (hey, I was moving).

All in all, I actually had a lot of really annoying experiences in Ontario and I'm glad to be out. Sometimes I forget why I ever left but then all it takes is 2 weeks there and I'm running back north. Ottawa was the worst, especially the cab drivers. I had a very bad experience in The Southway Inn's restaurant, The Shallows. I don't know about you, but when I'm done eating, I like to NOT sit and wait an hour before the server decides to look at me again. To put this in perspective, the couple next to me was seated while I was in the middle of my dessert. They paid their bill before my server (also their server) would come back to me.

I also enjoy not being scammed by creepy cab drivers. Ottawa, can I have that 20 hours of my life back?

But happily, I've been reunited with my Suzuki, 3 cats, clean apartment, friends, and fresh arctic air. Every time I come back from holidays, I get the same excited feeling I had when I first moved to Rankin Inlet almost 3 years ago to the day. I think it's the smell of the air, it makes me remember the newness and the adventures that lie ahead. I'm not sure what adventures will unfold before I vacation again, but here's hoping they're positive ones.

Labels: