Nunavut Newbie v.2.0: Iqaluit Newbie

A journal that will hopefully help out anyone who is thinking about moving to Nunavut or anywhere in Northern Canada.

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Great News

Good things are happening in the land of Jaime. I'm starting a new job soon! Same organization, same pay and all that, but in a different building and doing different work. I'll be doing completely different work from what I do now, so it'll be a great learning experience. I've been with my current organization since June 2007 and I've been on a term contract the whole time. In Rankin Inlet, it wasn't a big deal, because I was covering a maternity leave and already had my own apartment. In Iqaluit it's different, because federal government employees here get housing (and I happen to be a federal government employee). I'll finally get my own apartment which is a big deal. I can finally settle down a bit and the best part: decorate.

So yay to me! I'm very excited about the new job. I'll be sad to leave my current office, but I need a change and this is a great opportunity for that. I really like my job but I couldn't turn down an opportunity to let my career grow. Now that I have this permanent contract and a new job, it'll be easier to stay here in Iqaluit for a long time. I always planned to stay in Nunavut for ten years. I have no idea if it'll happen, but so far so good. I'm working on my 3rd year already, it's hard to believe.

So, despite a minor setback last week, things are going well. I expect this year to end much differently than it started and I'm pretty darn excited for it.

It's nice that things have been going so well for me since I moved to Iqaluit. If you know me personally, I think you'd agree I really deserve it...