Nunavut Newbie v.2.0: Iqaluit Newbie

A journal that will hopefully help out anyone who is thinking about moving to Nunavut or anywhere in Northern Canada.

Sunday, February 08, 2009

Reader Questions

In the spirit of not usually having any idea what to write about these days, I've decided I'll start answering reader questions again. If you've written me a comment that ends in a question mark, you'll notice it went unanswered. Well, I'll try to start answering them again. However, think about your question before you ask. If you presume it's going to require me to spend time finding the answer, or spend time writing the answer, I won't answer it. I'm not going to go out and take photographs of things for you and I'm not going to engage in time-consuming research to find what some random word in Inuktitut is. Maybe someone else will but I have a Nintendo Wii and a comfy bed, and I prefer those things over unpaid research.

Recent reader questions...

Q: "Do you have a picture of the palteua subdivision that I heard so much about in Iqaluit."

A: I assume you mean the plateau subdivision? No, I don't. I have photos I took looking at town from the plateau, but not photographs of the houses there. They're just new, nice looking houses.


Q: I am originally from Ontario as well and am interested in moving to Iqualuit to be a research analyst (if they will hire me). What is it like being an outsider there?

A: It's about the same as being an outsider anywhere else. Iqaluit isn't very traditional, chances are you will only feel the stress of moving to a new town and figuring things out. English is spoken everywhere and the percentage on non-inuit here is about 40%. So you won't really be an outsider, you'll just be another person living and working here.


Q: If you could sum it up in one sentence or so, what is it that makes you love the north so?

A: One sentence! That's difficult, you know. But okay, you got it. What makes me love the north is that I can go outside and hear absolutely nothing, just complete silence. I love quietness. I'm aware there are many quiet places in Canada, but I wound up here and that's what I choose to love about it.


Q: What is your job?

A: Sorry, but I do not share that information publicly. I work for the federal government, that's all you need to know.


Q: Is there stuff to do for children? activities?

A: In Iqaluit, yes. There are sports teams and if your kids are young enough, there are daytime playgroups. In Rankin Inlet there were some sports teams and gymnastics. There is also Sparks/Brownies/Guides/Rangers/etc in some communities, it would just depend. I don't know about smaller communities.


Q: Can someone eMail/post a typical grocery list cost? Milk, bread, bananas?

A: I had plans to do this before I moved out of my old house. I can't remember if I kept all the receipts. If not, you can still expect a post like this from me in the next 3-5 months or so.


Q: What kind of internet connection is obtainable in Nunavut?

A: Qiniq is available in all communities. Check the site for packages. Northwest Hell Tel also provides Internet in some communities.

Q: Also, I know there are no roads, but is there a chance any ATV trails or the such exist that could get you into the area?

A: Possibly, but I have no idea. You'd have to ask somebody in Thompson or Churchill.


On a completely opposite note, I have a question for anyone able to answer. Does anybody have experience with I Shop 4 U, or with buying IKEA items online (from the IKEA site)? Their site doesn't list any shipping prices and the only way to find out is to call them.

Labels: ,