Nunavut Newbie v.2.0: Iqaluit Newbie

A journal that will hopefully help out anyone who is thinking about moving to Nunavut or anywhere in Northern Canada.

Monday, March 02, 2009

A Rant

Of all the things people here find reasons to complain about, I have only one real pet peeve about the north: complainers.

I grew up in a city of 70 000 people in Ontario. Many Sarnians (at least from my generation), believe this to be so small and redneck and that there's nothing to do. I always thought Sarnia was a great size. Not too big, not too small. But no matter where you go, people find reasons to complain. I'm still not sure what Sarnia was missing. The CN tower? A giant stadium? Wonderland?

Likewise, I'm not sure what some people expect when they move here. Wonderland? Malls? Twenty-four hour coffee shops? What can you possibly want? In my opinion, the only legitimate complaint here is that we are all far from family. Everything else can be overcome if you want to overcome it.

I think everybody I've met in the north can be categorized into 3 categories:
1. The people who go out, have friends, and enjoy living here.
2. The people who don't go out, don't have friends, and hate it here.
3. The people in between who are just biding their time, waiting for the next phase in their life.

I strive to fit into the first category and I believe I do. My pet peeve is the people in the second category. They're the people who, when I told them I was moving to Nunavut, made a face at me and scoffed, "WHY? Why would you want to move there?!" It's tragic that these people are actually let into Nunavut borders because they're like parasites, feeding off any whine and complaint they can muster up to bother people with.

There is only one rule you must abide by when you move here and want to like it: you must try. If you don't try, you will never like it here. You must attempt to make friends, you must attempt to leave the confines of your home and workplace, you must attempt to engage in cultural activities. If you don't, what's the point of even coming here?

To anyone who hates it here...we won't miss you. Don't let the tundra hit 'ya where the good lord split 'ya. Go home, back to where things make sense to you, and stop bugging everyone who likes it here.

And quite honestly, this post was inspired by people I know. I don't know if they're reading this, but I hope they are.

Thus ends the only angry rant you will ever read on this blog. Phew!

PS: I'm not implying that the north is perfect or that there are no problems here. We know that there are. My issue is with the people who can't see past their own whiny, high-maintenance personalities to find something to smile about here.

Labels: , ,