Nunavut Newbie v.2.0: Iqaluit Newbie

A journal that will hopefully help out anyone who is thinking about moving to Nunavut or anywhere in Northern Canada.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Home Alone...Again

Woo, an afternoon amazing thus far!

#1. I went over to the college to drop off my confirmation of acceptance. All the employees were sitting around in the office and the registrar said to me, "Just out of curiosity, why are you taking Office Admin. and not Management Studies?"
I was like, "Uh...I don't know. I didn't really look at the management course."
After about 5 minutes of discussion, they switched me over to Management Studies because they said it would be more up to par with my skills. They said my marks were too good to just be in the Office Admin. course and they said that since I want to work for the government, that I was much better off taking Management Studies.

That's pretty cool, I'm happy about it. Actual class work doesn't start until the second week of September which I guess is how most colleges work. I asked one lady how many students go to college at the Kivalliq campus but she answered that last year there were 21 graduates between the Office Admin and the Management course so she said, "About that many then," but there are other courses held there so my guess is that probably is about 50 or 60. Wow, and I thought my elementary school of 200 kids was small!

Have I mentioned that I can't wait to go to school again?! I worked at a call centre before moving here. It was across the street from the college I was going to go to this September and I was always so jealous of the students on the bus, of which there were many. I hated my job and they always seemed so happy to go to school.

#2. After the college, I walked over to the Co-op to pick up some cookies (heh) and a Nunatsiaq News. The newspaper says it costs $1 but they never charge me for it, I'm not sure why. I should try buying a Kivalliq News there and see if they charge me because the Northern does.
Anyway, the good part was when this guy about my age came up to me with two 5-week-old huskey/whatever-mix puppies in his backpack and asked me if I wanted to buy one. I said no but he let me pet them anyway. They were the most adorable thing I've seen in ages. I scratched their little heads and behind their little ears and I almost wanted to take the backpack and run, haha. I'm thinking that the only way to get Leah to be quiet is to buy her another cat to play with. That would definitely make her be quiet. She loves other animals.

#3. I finished my outing with a trip to the post office, where a package from my dad had arrived. It was a microphone so I can use Skype. I downloaded Skype so if anyone has it, add me! I don't know a lot about it yet, but I think giving my username is enough? My username is [removed for privacy reasons].

(posted by Jaime)

Labels: ,